I wrote this in journalism in 9th grade. Hope you like it!
Without Cell Phones
If you look around today, you see that almost every person on campus has a cell phone. They're good for texting and the occasional check- ins with mom and dad, but otherwise we use them for our own pleasure. Some people who have cell phones think they are annoying while others love them. But what about the few people that don't have cell phones? How do they feel about the new age technology that's over running our minds and our schools? Today, cell phones are necessary for checking in with the parents plus a close group of friends. But other than that, is a cell phone really necessary? Do we really need to watch television or go on the Internet to check our email every five minutes just to see who's emailing who? Do we really need that? We already do that at home. What about the people that text all 24 hours of the day? Is it really worth your time? I can understand texting someone you haven't seen or talked to in a couple months or even years, but what about texting someone you just saw a few minutes before? Is time too fast for you that you have to text them a few minutes after you saw them? I use to have a cell phone but could only use it to check in with Mom and Dad so therefore, I considered it useless. I mean, what good is a phone if you can't call your friends on it, right? That was two years ago. Now, in high school and seeing my friends on their phones texting for hours upon end, I feel much different about it. To me, cell phone have become worthless. They take up your time and brainwash you. Cell phones used to be used for just calling the parents. Now they're used for everything such as watching television or surfing the web, things we use to do at home. Cell phones have taken over our lives and we don't even realize it. Why, you may ask? Because, cell phones become addicting. Just like T.V. or a good book. They draw you in and make it so that you forget everything that's happening around you. It makes it so that you can only focus on the small electronic device in your hand while using the other hand to tell your best friend everything she missed that day. Again, how, you may ask? Easy. We buy the "small" device thinking that we're only going to use it for the small group of friends and the parents. But, then, after awhile, your "small" group of friends expand and you end up making more calls and texting more than you ever thought possible. Then, without thinking about it, your cell phone has taken up every minute of every hour of your time. Thus, ending with you being endlessly being brainwashed. I believe cell phones are good as long as they're used for the right purposes and with a limited amount of time. But, using a phone just to text and call every one of your friends just to let them know about all the drama that went on at lunch today, is a bit much, don't you think? For me, getting a cell phone is scary! The thought of sitting down, doing nothing but text horrifies me. I wouldn't want to do that even if I was handed a free cell phone with unlimited minutes. I use to want a cell phone just so I could "FIT IN", but now I have no desire for a cell phone, no matter how good it is. I personally do not want to spend my time sitting down exercising my fingers when I could be doing something more important like homework or playing sports. For me, I am content as I am, cell phone less and texting free
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment